Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is a quality management organization in India and it plays an important role in granting quality certification and industry standard for products sold and distributed in India. The BIS product certification system aims to guarantee the quality, stability, and reliability of products, including some chemicals. Foreign Manufacturers Certification Department (FMCD) under BIS is responsible for managing manufacturing units located overseas and perform factory audit to determine whether a manufacturer complies with all the necessary requirement illustrated by BIS.
BIS Certification of Chemicals
Some chemicals and petrochemicals are listed in the mandatory BIS certification list. More chemicals are added to this list. The foreign manufactures of these chemicals and petrochemicals shall go through following steps to obtain the BIS certificate before exporting them to India:
- Compile all required documents;
- Submit the application with required documents to BIS authority;
- BIS officer will perform an on-site audit at the factory premises and verify the manufacturing process, testing infrastructure and also test the product in the in-house laboratory of the manufacturer.
- Collect samples and send them to BIS-approved Laboratory;
- If samples pass testing, the BIS certificate shall be issued after official approval;
Foreign manufacturers shall appoint Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) to submit applications to the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). The following requirements shall be also be fulfilled by the applicant.
- Manufacturing unit should be located outside of India.
- Ensure conformity of their product(s) to applicable Indian Standards Specification (ISS).
- At the factory premises, all manufacturing machineries and testing facilities should be available.
- Product testing equipment’s and quality control personnel shall be available in-house laboratory to test the product as per applicable ISS
- Manufacturer should accept the Scheme of Inspection & Testing (SIT) and annual marking fee.
- Company/manufacturer should accept the terms and conditions of certificate
CIRS is working closely with local partner in India for the following services:
- Consultation and training for BIS;
- Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) service;
- Application of BIS certificate;
- Renewal of BIS certificate;
- Extension/update of BIS certificate